Archive for November, 2015
Postfacto Ruminations on [P]enny [A]rcade E[x]po
PAX! PAX! PAX! Oh my goodness, since when did I become a convention go’er?
Actually, only now realising that I’ve been to a couple. The first being a Star Trek convention in Vancouver circa 2000? Earned my nerd cred right there. And Quakecon in 2002? Smack during summer in Mesquite, Texas. Ergggh.
Fast forward circa 2014 and I popped my PAX cherry. That sounds worse than it is. I do have to say, it’s great for gamers and non-gamers because it embraces all platforms, all media, both digital and non-digital. From the exhibition displaying Australian indie games (and their devs), big name releases, demos and of course tabletop.
I’ve always enjoyed the Penny Arcade guys. We’d share their comics between us right after WoW was released (2004?). Longtime fan, so I guess it makes sense that I’m up for their conference.
Now that I’ve bored you with a little backstory, here are my highlights and impressions.
- Warren Specter’s Keynote. Great to hear him speak, and his perspective was interesting. One theme was the notion that videogames will supplant movies and TV into the 21st century. “Seeing such a shift only happens once every hundred years. We are privileged to be living through such a rare event.”
- The Witcher 3 story producer’s talk on quest design in The Witcher 3. Yeah, I’m fanboy but it was still interesting!
- Star Wars Battlefront. Twas a treat to see new maps and modes. This looks like a great Star Wars game, thanks Dice!
- Dark Souls III
- The Freeplay Console Gaming Lounge
- The Australian Indie zone
- Cosplayers, Cosplayers Everywhere
- Really loud gaming events, particularly on terrible (terrible!) small PA rigs.
- Reports of widely available content being shown in limited access booths. Fallout 4, lookin’ at ya.
- All but one Vive demo system was broken by the last day. Does not bode well for a consumer release!
OK if you’ve not seen the E3 trailer for the Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 game, do yourself the small favour and check it out. Yes, the trailer is dated 2015, yes the name of it is dumb, and yes the game comes out “some time in 2016”. Hoping for updated info but that’s the best anyone has at the moment. Why am I saying all this? I don’t really know other than I just re-watched the trailer and realised I was excited enough about it that it’s worth posting about.
In other news, I’m back from PAX Melbourne today. I’ll probably write something up about that soon as there was some great stuff that I’m still buzzing about. I promise to share. =)